A.S.L. Interpreting Services for Campus Events
Policies and Guidelines
Student Life Disability Services (SLDS) of The Ohio State University provides American Sign Language interpreting services for eligible students who are deaf or hard-of-hearing that are registered with Disability Services. These same services are also available for faculty, staff and campus events.
The following are policies for the provision of these services.
All requests for interpreting services are made through Disability Services. Therefore, all inquiries and requests from any student, professor or staff member must be referred to Disability Services Interpreting Services Coordinator, Claudia Kinder. Requests can be made by telephone, 614-292-3307, fax 614-292-4190 or e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Following legal and university mandates and due to the size of the university, Disability Services has established the following order of eligibility of services:
- Academic - This includes classes, field trips, study groups, required attendance at special events, meetings with advisors or professors, tutorials, etc. This also includes training events sponsored by Continuing Education.
- Events sponsored by chartered student organizations - This includes programs, concerts, workshops, induction or recognition ceremonies, meetings, etc.
- Special Events sponsored by colleges or departments within the university including conferences, guest lecturers, special performances, recognition ceremonies, celebrations, etc.
- Human Resources requests for staff, faculty or GA positions. - This includes staff meetings, professional development , performance evaluations, recognition ceremonies, etc.
Due to the limited availability of American Sign Language interpreters, Disability Services has set the following criteria for the prioritization for service provision for non-academic events:
- Initial request date - Early requests are given higher priority. Although Disability Services will make every attempt to fill requests for interpreter service, there is no guarantee for any request submitted less than one week (7 days) prior to the event.
- Promptness in providing necessary information is a factor in determining priority. Day and date of event, begin and end time, location, name of sponsor, name of contact person and phone number/e-mail address are all considered necessary information. A copy of the program, conference brochure and related materials must be provided a.s.a.p. In the event of a theatrical performance, a copy of the script must be provided at least three weeks in advance.
- The Interpreting Services Coordinator will confirm the names of interpreters providing the service.
Guidelines for Determining the Need for Interpreting Services
In accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), services must be provided if request for accommodation is made by a person attending the event. Although every attempt will be made to secure interpreters for such a request, there is no guarantee of service provision if request is made by the attendee less than one week (7 days) in advance.
Disability Services recommends the provision of services for any special event on campus that is open to the public and an attendance of more than one hundred (100) is expected.
Disability Services recommends including the Interpreter Coordinator in special event planning committees.
Event Planning Guidelines
If it is certain that interpreters will be used during the program, include the pictorial symbol above in promotional and registration materials.
This will alert individuals who are deaf that this service will be provided. The following is suggested language to be used with this symbol:
- "Interpreting services will be provided upon request. Please contact (insert appropriate name/office and phone number) to request services." This language is recommended for events requiring pre-registration such as conferences, workshops or events with limited seating.
- "Interpreting services will be provided." This language is recommended for any special event on campus that is open to the student body and/or the general public and attendance of more than one hundred (100) is expected.
Provide seating for the individuals who are deaf in the front with an unobstructed view of the stage/speaker. This way they can take in the message and the message provider simultaneously.
The fee for American Sign Language Interpreting services for any non-academic event is $30 per hour per interpreter. Any assignment longer than two hours or an assignment less than two hours with complex content requires a team of two interpreters. This is paid through a 100W form sent to Disability Services office manager. This fee applies to requests for Human Resource events such as meetings and training for staff, faculty and GA positions. This fee also applies to revenue generating events such as conferences and workshops sponsored by colleges and departments.
There is no charge for academic interpreting. Practicum and internship assignments are considered a shared responsibility between OSU and the field placement host. Fee determination is made on a case-by-case basis.
There is no charge for events sponsored by chartered student organizations. However, organization representatives must apply for fee waiver when submitting a request for interpreting service. To download, complete and print a fee waiver form (in MS Word), click here. This form can be faxed to 614-292-4190, or mailed to 150 Pomerene Hall - 1760 Neil Avenue , Columbus , Ohio 43210 , to the attention of the Interpreting Services Coordinator.
The Theater Department will not be billed for performances interpreted as an academic requirement (Theater 100.) A fee will be charged for interpreter requests made through the box office.
If Disability Services provides interpreter services for a particular event with no fee involved, other OSU departments may not profit by charging for this service at this same event.
If a billable event, Disability Services will bill for services if request is cancelled within five (5) days of special event.
Disability Services reserves the right to cancel services if necessary information (see Service Priority) is not provided within five days of special event. Events requiring a script will be cancelled if script is not provided within two (2) weeks of the event.